Megan Marie Mahoney is a former basketball player from America; she was born on February 13, 1983. Megan started her professional career in basketball from 2005. In her 14 years long career, she won the Italian championship three times back in 2009, 2010, and 2012. In 2006 she won the Icelandic championship, which is the highest women's basketball club competition in Iceland.
Furthermore, she won the Euro Cup in 2015 with ESB Villeneuve-d'Ascq. In 2019 she announced her retirement. We will get to know more about Megan in this article. Let’s get started.
For more information about Basketball Backpacks.
Education and Early Life Achievement
Megan Marie Mahoney studied at Sturgis Brown High School in South Dakota. She became the player of the year as a senior for The Gatorade Company and USA Today. During her college life, she also had other achievements; South Dakota Sports Writers Association announced her as High School Girls Athlete of the Year and also became Miss Basketball of the year. So it is presumably that basketball was in Megan’s heart since her student life.
Megan continued to play basketball when she started her university life. During her study period at Kansas State University in 2003, she was one of the players of the All-Big 12 first team.
Megan started playing basketball since her childhood when her father prepared a concrete pad and hoop for her in the backyard of her house in Piedmont, S.D. She began to play basketball over there and started loving the game. She never felt bored as she always has been so competitive and enjoyed playing basketball.
That was the time she dreamt of becoming a basketball player. She said she remembered her first letter about college. She was so excited that she could get a scholarship to play for college. However, she performed well during her college life.
Some Attributes of Megan In A Nutshell
- Playing position - Guard
- Height - 6 feet
- Weight - 158.73 pounds
- Jersey number - 04
- Birthplace & hometown - South Dakota, US
- School - Sturgis Brown High School
- University - Kansas State University
- Major - Family Studies & Human Services
Megan Mahoney’s Social Life
Megan is one of the wealthiest basketball players from the USA. Apart from playing basketball, Megan loves to hang around with friends, spending time with family, and traveling. We don’t have much evidence about her family and relationship, so we can’t come to any conclusion regarding this.
- In 2005, Connecticut Sun (women's basketball team based in Uncasville) selected Megan Mahoney to play in the third round (overall 34th).
- In her first season in 2006, she played 31 games and had an average of 11.7 minutes per game.
- In 2006, Mahoney signed with Haukar (woman basketball team in Iceland) as a replacement for Keke Tardy. However, she scored a total of 27.9 average points and 13.1 rebounds per game in total nine regular season’s competition. And after this performance, her team achieved the top record in the tournament league. Mahoney scored an average of 28.3, and 14.3 rebounds in the playoffs. In the finals, she scored 32.0 points on average, and that was a record-breaking performance by Mahoney. She broke the previous record of Penny Peppas. Her team won over Keflavík, and because of this performance, she got named as Úrvalsdeild Women's Playoffs MVP and Úrvalsdeild Women's Foreign Player of the Year.
- Connecticut Sun took Barbara Turner as a replacement of Megan Mahoney to the Comets (WNBA team based in Houston, US) in March 2008. In April, in the same year, Comets waived Mahoney.
- In 2006-2007, Megan Mahoney started playing with Panama in Italy. And next year, she joined Taranto Cras Basket (Italian women's basketball club) and won the Italian title three times in 2009, 2010, and 2012.
- In the Euroleague Women back in 2010-2011 season, Megan Mahoney took her place in the rest of the world team against the all the Europe team. She managed to score 8 points in 5 minutes.
- Mahoney played for ESB Villeneuve-d'Ascq (French women's basketball club) in France between 2014 and 2016. In 2015 she won the Euro Cup Woman. In the following season, she became runner-up and obtained the second position in Ligue Féminine de Basketball (French professional basketball league for women) in the 2014-2015 season.
- In 2017, Mahoney joined San Martino di Lupari to play in the Italian Serie A1 league.
- The same year in January, she got injured in her right knee, her anterior cruciate ligament tore. After the injury, she could not play for the rest of the season. In May 2017, she signed again with San Martino to play for the 2017-2018 season.
- Mahoney was planning to play again in Belgium for the 2018-2019 seasons, but the injury restrained her from playing for that season. She needed to do surgery and rehabilitation required for 6 to 8 months to get fit again to play.
- Finally, in 2019, Megan Mahoney decided to end her career and got retired from Basketball
- Icelandic championship in 2006
- Úrvalsdeild Women's Foreign Player in 2006
- Úrvalsdeild Women's Playoffs Most Valuable Player in 2006
- Most Valuable Player in 2010 finals
- Three times Italian championship in 2009, 2010, and 2012
- 2015 Euro cup woman
In this article, I tried to provide all the exciting facts and achievements of Megan Marie Mahoney. If you like to know more about other famous basketball players, then keep your eyes on this website.